Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Edward Bernays and the Many Faces of Truth

Edward Bernays, the father of PR, claimed that the concept of “truth” did not exist- reality is only in the mind of the beholder.

To emphasize the way in which a concrete event or activity can be portrayed in any number of different ways, write about the following evens (1 paragraph each) from each character’s perspective, trying to communicate to an audience his/her point of view.

Scenario #1 A patron of a restaurant slips on a banana peel as she walks past the kitchen on her way to the restroom. (Characters: Woman, Restaurant Owner)
  • As I slipped on the banana peel I felt my body fly back. I hit the ground hard as I felt a sudden rush of anger and embarrassment. Why didn't they take better care of this resteraunt? I thought to myself. I should sue them. I could have broken my neck.
  • I was in my office when I heard a loud crash outside. I exit to see that a woman has fallen and the culprit to be an old banana peel a few feet away from the crash site. My initial instinct is to see that she is alright and to make sure she gets comped for her meal and t taken care of to the best of my ability. I hope she doesn't sue.
Scenario #2 In response to a controversial bill just passed by Congress, thousands of angry demonstrators swarm the streets of Washington DC, slowing traffic and impeding commerce for hours. (Characters: Senator who voted in favor of the bill, Demonstrator opponent of the bill, Shopkeeper.)
  • The Senators would feel as if the bill must be passed. It was hard enough to decide to vote for the bill, but the constant reminders of the protesters make would make them second guess their decisions.
  • The protesters feel strongly opposed to the bill. They feel that if they all band together as a united group, go to Washington DC, blocking everyone's way, they will get what they want. All they will probably get during the day is the self satisfying feeling that they angered alot of people (some who didn't even deserve it) and a sun burn.
  • The shopkeeper is looking out the window at all the protesters. Because of their demonstration, his store has been empty for hours and could possibly be empty for the rest of the day. He needed today's income because he recently found out that his daughter needed to get braces. The shopkeeper is upset at the protesters.

1 comment: